Sunday, March 20, 2011

Maybe I was Wrong (draft) / Oppression

*edit: scroll down to the end, there's a part which is margined, its the most important one*

Because I saw a wrong and tried to right it, Because I believed that its our duty to say the Truth when we know it, to speak up for those who can't speak for themselves. 

I'm really frustrated - I can't express how much, by the way events have unfolded in recent days .. 

I spoke up for a cause that isn't mine - that doesn't personally concern me, because I care for the Guc. By the Guc, I mean its Students and Academics .. 

They were contacting me and they were being bullied - just like we've been bullied before, by Power and Money. Threaten with expulsion and firing after they gave the Guc so much, after they gave years and effort and so much money they can't afford there: To tell them that if they complain, they'd be kicked out and not get the certificates that they worked so hard for,  that they'd lose years and damage their future, thats bullying.

I don't know if its Political Connections or the Wealth, but they seem to know no Fear. They're not afraid to insult Students or Academics, they're not afraid of the courts or lawsuits, they're not afraid of the Ministry of Higher Education .. They're not afraid of anything.

I think its because, they've been used to stomping their foot on those Students and Academics and to never hear them speak, so they think they should do it some more. But I thought something had changed .. 


So I spoke up, at great personal risk. I don't know if any of you knows what happened today, but there was supposed to be an event. That event I blogged about yesterday, so everyone knows what we were planning  - to sit in Campus and talk to people, without getting in anyone's way. To have coffee and music and draw banners and think of how to make our University a better place. 

But that, to the Mansour Brothers, is Taboo; '7araam'. Why? I leave you to answer that. You do not criticize their leadership, you do not question anything that they tell you, you do not dare to demand your rights. They're above that. 

You do not address them without saying doctor, you do not speak of them - even when they're not around, by first name. Because that is disrespectable. 

Yet they can allude to you by saying 'إذا جائكم فاسق' and "السفيه فلا تجبه", one of them can wave his hand at your face and say .. 'هوه ميين ده عشان يتكلم!' .. with total disrespect, They're above you. 

The  سفيه  and  فاسق is apparently  me, by the way .. Also, it seems they think that me accusing the Guc Chairman of Mismanagement is like حديث الإفك, this tells you alot about their Mentality. 

Now, I don't care for being insulted, personally. Because a Man's Honour is determined by his actions and values, by his stands, and not by names he gets called. And I only did what was right. 

Yet lets talk about their actions and values: they distribute my picture throughout the gates and tell security to not let me in - apparently, when I ask for a written statement explaining why I'm banned to take to the Courts and the Ministry, the don't give me one, so that they can deny it. 

Since I did not get a clear statement, I did go on - my fellow students took me. According to one of them: all the security got punished because of that. I wonder, what did they want them to do, hit us?

And when we're told after protesting peacefully and quietly for hours that the President and the Vice-Chairman of the Board will meet us, the respectable Mr. Mahmoud Hashim and Prof. Hans-Wolff of  Duale Hochshule and Ulm, they insult and kick me out - they say they'll not let me in because I'm a 'liar' when I asked them to name one thing that I lied about, they don't.

So they refused to face me, and the students stayed outside to support my case. 

They refused to face me or reply to my emails, they refused to print facts, because they know I'm right. 

They continued to try and change the subject by an attack on my personal character: now I ask you: I've had nothing to hide so far, I've sent them those emails with my name signed on the bottom, I told them I'd welcome and publish a reply and would apologize if I was wrong, I attacked what they do to the students, I did not concern myself with anything else. 

And if I was wrong with everything I've said - if I had been misguided in all my information and my demands, does that give them the right to insult and prosecute me? To call me names and kick me out and abuse their power and authority - I did not need to stay silent when I was getting those insults, Mr. Magdy Mansour should've known I could've replied to him word for word if I wanted, but I did not. Why? To prove a point. 

To prove that the current management of the University is unsuitable for its Academics and Students, to not give them any excuse for the things they said and did. 

This is not about them insulting me - understand, they can ban me from their little piece of Paradise that is the Guc, it won't harm me. This is about 'you' who speaks up, you will not be tolerated. They did all they can to hurt me but thank God I graduated - What if a TA speaks? What if a Student does, what do you think will they do to them?

What really frustrates me though is: the Academics and Students who did not join our cause - Especially the Academics, very few TAs did, and no doctors at all. Why, I ask you? If you don't mind having your rights taken by Mr. Mansour and his brother, its your duty to stand up for your students and TAs who cannot even say their mind without being insulted and threatened: they'll deny they threatened anyone, but you saw what they did with me and they would do worse to anyone. 

I'm frustrated at those Academics and Students because, had they stood up for us and each other, had they come down in protest to the treatment of Mr. Mansour - he and his brother would not have been able to do this to us, to bully us like this, they would not have been able to fire and expel and insult everyone. But those Academics and Students didn't.

If they had came down before, this wouldn't have happened today. He would've had to give people their rights. If they had stood hand in hand like a community should do .. Now, I tried to stand for them, and what I get from some of the staff is .. its none of your business, don't argue our case .. My mistake. 

And what I hear is some of the students are saying also .. none of your business, you deserve this. 

And while I don't care for personal injury the least - I tried to do whats right, and let them have as much money and power as they want, what are they gonna do with it? there's justice from god in the end - and while I was planning to just let this go and .. as those my fellow students and academic told me .. leave them to speak up or get lied to and abused and mislead ..   

Although it wasn't all of them who said this. 

But I just got a call from a friend: And it seems that some Students are now sleeping out there in Guc's garden in the Cold to protest. In all the Nobleness of Mr. Magdy Mansour's heart, he refused to let anyone go in or out to get blankets or anything to drink or eat, he shut down the buildings and its bathrooms so that they'd stay outside in the garden - a tactic to force them to suffer so that they could quickly quit - even though normally Students and Staff can always stay up very late in the Guc. 

This is according to their account.

So I changed the post, I was planning not to go to the Guc anymore, to say 'enough' .. I've made the facts clear to people and I can't force them to change things if they don't want. But if those students continue to be wronged like this, I might not stick to that plan .. 

He threatened to assault them with force and get the police to remove them - one of them told me he said its his 'Private Property', 'the Mansour Family owns the majority of shares in the 'Institution'', and that they can with it what they want.

And with it its Students and Academics and TAs I guess .. 

Its not my cause anymore, its your choice. But, for those brave students .. 7araam 3ala ayye 7ad saket, regardless of what they think their reasons are .. if you don't want to fight for your right thats your option, but if you don't want to fight for those who need your help that you can give .. 

7araam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment